Call for Submissions - Mawtini (My Home)
Tashkeel, the Dubai based gallery and studio space has announced a call for submissions for their next exhibition called Mawtini, which means My Home in Arabic. Submission date ends on 18th February 2012. The exhibition will run from 6th March - 30th April 2012.
I am very interested in this theme and looking forward to seeing what gets selected. Thinking of taking part myself. Here's the full brief. Good luck to everyone that submits their work.
“Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, a dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest” - Robert Montgomery
We are living in an increasingly complex world in which barriers and borders are being broken down and where conventional concepts of “homeland” and “belonging” are being challenged. This is of particular relevance in the United Arab Emirates, where almost 80% of the population is living away from their so-called home country, and yet for so many of these people, this is truly “home”.
Within this context, we would like to invite both local and international artists resident in the UAE to explore the notion of what constitutes “home”. Do you consider “home” to be a country, a city, a particular building or place with a personal history and memories? Is home defined by the country of birth, country of residence, country of choice or by nationality or is it the place where one is, or where ones heart longs to be or where one simply feels that they belong?
- The call is open to all contemporary artists living in the UAE, creating original work using any medium.
- Artists can submit up to 3 works, a series is considered as one work.
- Previously exhibited artworks will not be accepted. Artworks presented must be made specifically for this call.
- Application and images must be submitted not later than 18 February 2012
- Shortlisted artists will be informed by email by 27 February 2012
- Artists will be responsible for the framing and mounting of works selected for the exhibition before delivering it to Tashkeel.
- Tashkeel reserves the right not to exhibit any work that differs substantially from the initial application or is deemed unsuitable for exhibition.
You can download the application form here. For more information, you can send an email to email@example.com.